This function is responsible for developing and progressing an integrated approach to the planning and delivery of culturally sensitive sustainability objectives that take into account the communities cultural requirements and caring for country for the long term at a regional level, overseeing landscape operational projects.
Key outcomes are successful landscape management at the regional level that progresses government strategic directions, facilitates sustainable development (pastoral, mining) and occurs in an integrated way with community and volunteer groups, landholders, industry and business, local councils, and other state, interstate and federal government agencies.
Key programs supported by the National Landcare Program are:
- A sustainable pastoral program in APY
- Landcare Officers for the APY & MT/Yalata
- Support for feral camel, donkey and horse management
- Support for the Ecological Management Understanding program balancing culture, landcare and production in the APY Pastoral area
- Work with the mining industry to have activities with a minimum impact on the lands and the waters