Travelling in remote regions
When planning to travel into the remote regions of the Alinytjara Wilurara the most important thing to ensuring your safety is careful preparation. Driving through Australia’s remote and rugged areas requires careful planning and preparation before heading into remote areas.
It is important that you ensure you have:
- a roadworthy vehicle fitted with GPS and two spare tyres
- good maps
- extra food, water and fuel
- an emergency plan.
Plan your route carefully and notify a third party of your expected arrival. Check road conditions before beginning your journey, stay with your vehicle if it breaks down and avoid travelling in extreme heat conditions. If driving a conventional vehicle through remote areas, drive slowly on unsealed, dusty or narrow roads and always check road conditions before turning off major roads.
Remember that mobile phones have limited coverage in remote areas, so check your phone provider for coverage. The safest option is to have a satellite phone.
Walking in remote regions
When walking in remote regions, remember to:
- avoid snake and spider bites by wearing protective footwear and taking care not to provoke a situation
- if bitten, seek immediate medical attention
- wear protective footwear, a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- if possible take a topographic map and plenty of water
- don’t feed or play with native animals, you might get scratched or bitten.
For all emergencies phone 000
Health services and clinics
- Oodnadatta Health ServiceTelephone: 8670 7803Address: Ikaturka Terrace Oodnadatta, South AustraliaOpening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
- Coober Pedy HotelTelephone: 8672 5009Address: Lot 89 Hospital Road Coober Pedy, South Australia
- Ceduna District Health ServicesTelephone: 8626 2110Address: 3 Eyre Highway Ceduna South Australia
- Tullawon Health Service (Yalata)Telephone: Clinic: 8625 6237 Admin: 8625 6255Address: Eyre Hwy, Yalata, South AustraliaOpening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
- Yulara Health CentreTelephone: 8956 2286Address: Yulara Drive, Yulara
- Ernabella Health ClinicTelephone: 8956 2946Address: Ernabella Community Pukatja Homeland
- Amata ClinicTelephone: 8956 2910
- Fregon ClinicTelephone: 8956 2918
- Iwantja ClinicTelephone: 8670 7986
- Mimili ClinicTelephone: 8956 2974/7251
- Mimili-blue phoneTelephone: 89562816
- Nyapari ClinicTelephone: 8956 7441
- Pipalyatjara ClinicTelephone: 8956 7503
- Pukatja ClinicTelephone: 8956 2946
- Watarru ClinicTelephone: 8956 2852 or 8956 7721