Protect and Regenerate Endemic Vegetation (PREV) project
The 'Protect and Regenerate Endemic Vegetation (PREV)' project engaged with community and land managers to directly address and remedy threatening processes affecting:
- Eyre Peninsula Blue Gum (Eucalyptus petiolaris) Woodland Threatened Ecological Community
- Peppermint Box (Eucalyptus odorata) Grassy Woodland Threatened Ecological Community
- and populations of the nationally Endangered Whibley's wattle (Acacia whibleyana), a species endemic to Eyre Peninsula and found almost exclusively in the wider Tumby Bay area.
Surveying of both woodland communities and the Whibley Wattle populations has now concluded, significantly improving our collective understanding of the extent and condition of these important habitats.
EP Blue Gum Woodland resources
- Fact Sheet - EP Blue Gum Woodlands (1.78MB)
- Media release 6/08/2019 - 'Locals dig in to help endangered woodlands'
- Media release 15/03/2019 - 'Information session on endangered Eyre Peninsula Blue Gum Woodland'
- Media release 14/12/2018 - 'Green thumbs for Blue Gums'
- Media release 1/05/2018 - 'Expressions of interest open for NRM projects'
Whibley's wattle resources
- Fact Sheet - Whibley's wattle (0.66KB)
- Media release 24/06/2019 - 'Wattle happen with the endangered Whibleyana?'
- Media release 26/02/2019 - 'Art and science fix for endangered Whibley's wattle'
Previous related media releases:
- 18/07/2016 - 'Workshop for unique blue gums'
- 30/03/2016 - 'Ongoing rabbit control benefits Eyre Peninsula threatened wattle'
- 21/10/2015 - 'Eyre Peninsula Blue Gums - Why are they threatened?
- 10/03/2015 - 'Getting to know Eyre Peninsula Blue Gums'
This project would have not been possible, or indeed as successful, without the support and involvement of local community and land managers. We thank everyone involved including those who attended workshops at Wangary, Yallunda Flat and Cleve in 2019.
See some of the project photos in our photo gallery in Flickr.
Senior Officer - Southern
86 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln