Bushfire recovery

Support and advice are available to property owners affected by fire to ensure the recovery of natural resources and the ongoing sustainable management of properties.

The State Government has a comprehensive web page on these types of emergencies and safety. Some of that information is included here. However, this page also lists additional information to help you manage natural resources on your rural property after a fire.

Property recovery 

Rural properties

PIRSA has additional bushfire information for primary producers.

The EPA provides advice on managing bushfire waste including CCA-treated timber, contaminated water in rainwater tanks, chemicals and bushfire-affected animal carcasses.

The State Government has information on fire-damaged asbestos.

Managing native vegetation after fire

The CFS has information on native vegetation management including protecting a building or a structure; reducing fuel strategically; constructing a fuel break or fire access track and more.

The Department for Environment and Water's Native Vegetation Unit has general information on managing native vegetation.

Gardens and weeds

Depending on the location, there are some key environmental and agricultural weeds which respond to fire. There is potential for these weeds to germinate freely and result in problems for landholders. General information on these weeds, and others, can also be found on the pest plants page.


Livestock assistance

For advice on burnt livestock requiring urgent assistance call PIRSA's Stock Assessment Hotline on 8207 7847. Additional bushfire information for primary producers is also available.

Livestock SA and Primary Producers SA have a register for livestock owners needing fodder or agistment for cattle, sheep and goats. This register relies on offers of assistance, which are matched with needs wherever possible. Phone 8297 2299 (Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm) to be placed on the register.

National Parks

If you have any questions regarding access to walking trails or picnic sites in any of national parks or reserves, please check with National Parks SA.


The lead agency for volunteering is Volunteering SA/NT. To help people affected by the fires, visit the Volunteering SA website and follow the links.

Social media

The official Facebook page for SA Bushfire Recovery is coordinated by State Disaster Recovery.

The Hills and Fleurieu Landscape Board's Facebook page will also be used to share information.