Kangaroo Island Grassroots Grants
The Kangaroo Island Grassroots Grants program supports KI individuals, volunteers, community groups and other not-for-profit organisations, with local landscape management projects. The KI Grassroots Grants program is a requirement of the Landscape South Australia Act 2019 and is funded through the regional Landscape Levy and the Government of South Australia annual allocation for the Kangaroo Island Landscape Board.
The KI Grassroots Grants are available to fund any activity that improves the health of Kangaroo Island’s landscapes and/or connects people to KI’s landscapes. All projects must contribute to one or more of the Board’s regional priorities and focus areas (detailed in Figure 1 on page 2) from the Kangaroo Island Landscape Plan 2021-2026.
Some examples of eligible activities include, but are not limited to:
- revegetation and fencing of these new revegetated areas
- erosion management, such as building stock crossings and moving stock watering points from creeks and rivers
- watercourse and/or wetland protection and restoration
- coordinated declared weed management across neighbouring properties, or control of outlying or emerging declared weed populations
- pest animal or disease management
- sustainable agriculture, such as soil monitoring and improvement, establishing perennial pastures, integrated pest management and establishing and protecting shelterbelts
- education activities
- raising community awareness and participation in landscape management
- supporting First Nations connections to Kangaroo Island.
The KI Grassroots Grants have supported projects since 2020. Click the links below to find out what landholders and community groups have achieved with their Grassroots Grants to date:
- 2020-21 Grassroots Grants projects
- 2021-22 Grassroots Grants projects
- 2022-23 Grassroots Grants projects
Applications for our 2023 Grassroots Grants round have closed and will open again in late March/early April 2024.
Bec Mussared, Program Support Officer
35 Dauncey Street Kingscote SA 5223
+61 08 8553 2476