Water science review Stakeholder Advisory Group formed
31 August 2018
The South East Natural Resources Management Board has formed a Stakeholder Advisory Group for the Lower Limestone Coast Water Allocation Plan science review.
The group brings together industry and community representatives who will provide advice to the Board throughout the review process.
SE NRM Board presiding member Fiona Rasheed, who also chairs the advisory group, said it’s critical that the community is thoroughly engaged and consulted throughout the process.
“Affected licensees must feel confident that the water allocation decisions made by the Board are based on the best available science,” Ms Rasheed said.
Environment and Water Minister David Speirs placed a hold on reductions to water allocations in the Lower Limestone Coast, following feedback from irrigators. This hold remains in place while the science underpinning the reductions is reviewed.
“Irrigators expressed concerns about the science used to direct reductions to water allocations, as well as the potential economic impacts the reductions might have,” Ms Rasheed said.
“The Board has engaged the Goyder Institute for Water Research as an independent body to conduct the science review. The Institute will consult with the Stakeholder Advisory Group, as well as technical experts.
“Our aim is to ensure the review is transparent, and the community is involved at every step.”
The Stakeholder Advisory Group includes:
- SE NRM Board (Fiona Rasheed) – Advisory Group Chair
- SE NRM Board (Kerry de Garis)
- Coonawarra Vignerons (Peter Balnaves)
- Limestone Coast Grape and Wine Council (James Freckleton)
- Hynam East Irrigators (Tim Koch)
- Zone 5A Irrigators (Nick Hillier)
- Mid-South East Irrigators (John Hensel)
- South East Potato Growers (Andrew Widdison)
- Green Triangle Forest Products Committee (Darren Shelden)
- Australian Forest Products (Leon Rademeyer)
- Subclover Growers (Andrew Shepherd)
- SA Dairy Farmers Association (Graeme Hamilton)
- Grain Producers SA (David Malpas)
- Limestone Coast Local Government Association (Erika Vickery)
- Conservation Council SA (Mark Bachmann)
- SA Water (Michelle Irvine)
- South East Aboriginal Focus Group (Doug Nicholls)
- Livestock SA (representative to be confirmed)
“It is important that the views of all water users are considered,” Ms Rasheed said. “We strongly encourage members of the community to contact their stakeholder group members to provide input into the review process.”
For more information, including contact details for stakeholder group members, contact Natural Resources South East Senior Planning Officer Matthew Honner on 8735 1177 or email@example.com.
Media and Communications Coordinator