Passes and permits

When visiting Aṉangu-owned land, it is important to recognise that there are agreements in place between landholding authorities and state and federal governments about how the land is accessed and used. Aṉangu have managed the land for many thousands of years and continue to play a significant role in the way natural resources are protected for the benefit of people and the environment.

Parks passes

South Australia has a rich Aboriginal heritage. There are many important sites around the state that have great significance to Aṉangu, and not all are accessible to visitors. Accessible parks include:

  • Mamungari Conservation Park
  • Nullarbor National Park, Wilderness Protection Area and Regional Reserve
  • Pinkawillinie Conservation Park
  • Tallaringa Conservation Park
  • Yellabinna Regional Reserve
  • Yumbarra Conservation Park.

A National Parks SA Desert Parks Pass is required for entry into the Tallaringa Nature Reserve and a separate entry permit is required for the Mamungari Conservation Park.

Entry permits for Aṉangu lands

Landholding authorities managing Aboriginal-owned land have the power to manage how outsiders enter or move across these areas. The Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Land Rights Act 1981, Maralinga Tjarutja Land Rights Act 1984 set out the conditions under which a person may enter the lands.

Permits are required to enter lands under traditional ownership and must be made in writing to the appropriate authority.

Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands – northern South Australia

It is an offence for a non-Aṉangu person to enter the Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands without a permit. Exceptions include police officers and other public servants on official duties, people with the written authority of the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, and Members of Parliament. Transit permits are not issued to tourists or travellers simply wishing to pass through any part of the APY Lands.

For more information and to download permit application forms, contact:

Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara: Phone: (08) 8954 8111 or E: permits@aṉ

Maralinga Tjarutja Lands – western South Australia

Visitors wanting to travel through Maralinga Lands are restricted to the Anne Beadell Highway, traversing the Mamungari Conservation Park. An access permit is required for entry into Maralinga Lands, and a separate permit for the Mamungari Conservation Park. If access is required to other roads, a written letter addressed to the Maralinga Tjarutja Community Council is required and subject to approval.

For more information about permits, contact:

Maralinga Tjarutja: Phone: (08) 8625 2946 or E:

Yalata Lands

Yalata has a strict entry permit procedure in place. This is Aṉangu-owned land, managed by Yalata Aṉangu Aboriginal Corporation and the Yalata Land Management Unit for conservation of biodiversity and the sustainability of traditional cultures.

The community is proud of their land and happy to share the experience of it with you, however, entry to Yalata Lands for camping and fishing is only allowed with an approved permit. To apply for camping and fishing permit please visit

For more information about permits contact:

Yalata: Phone (08) 8625 6040 or E: