Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Passes and permits

When visiting Anangu-owned land, it is important to recognise that there are agreements in place between landholding authorities and state and federal governments about how the land is accessed and used. Anangu have managed the land for many thousands of years and continue to play a significant role in the way natural resources are protected for the benefit of people and the environment.

Parks passes

South Australia has a rich Aboriginal heritage. There are many important sites around the state that have great significance to Anangu, and not all are accessible to visitors. Accessible parks include:

A National Parks SA Desert Parks Pass is required for entry into the Tallaringa Nature Reserve and a separate entry permit is required for the Mamungari Conservation Park.

Entry permits for Anangu lands

Landholding authorities managing Aboriginal-owned land have the power to manage how outsiders enter or move across these areas. The Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Land Rights Act 1981, Maralinga Tjarutja Land Rights Act 1984 set out the conditions under which a person may enter the lands.

Permits are required to enter lands under traditional ownership and must be made in writing to the appropriate authority.

Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara Lands – northern South Australia

It is an offence for a non-Anangu person to enter the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands without a permit. Exceptions include police officers and other public servants on official duties, people with the written authority of the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, and Members of Parliament. Transit permits are not issued to tourists or travellers simply wishing to pass through any part of the APY Lands.

For more information and to download permit application forms, contact:

Anangu Pitjantjatjara YankunytjatjaraPMB 227 Umuwa via Alice Springs NT 0872Phone: (08) 8954 8111Fax: (08) 8954 8110

Maralinga Tjarutja Lands – western South Australia

Visitors wanting to travel through Maralinga Lands are restricted to the Anne Beadell Highway, traversing the Mamungari Conservation Park. An access permit is required for entry into Maralinga Lands, and a separate permit for the Mamungari Conservation Park. If access is required to other roads, a written letter addressed to the Maralinga Tjarutja Community Council is required and subject to approval.

For more information and to download permit application forms, contact:

Maralinga Tjarutja Administration office 43 McKenzie Street, Ceduna, SA, 5690Phone: (08) 8625 2946 Fax: (08) 8625 3076

Yalata Lands

Yalata has a strict entry permit procedure in place. This is Anangu-owned land, managed by Yalata Anangu Aboriginal Corporation and the Yalata Land Management Unit for conservation of biodiversity and the sustainability of traditional cultures.

The community is proud of their land and happy to share the experience of it with you, however, entry to Yalata Lands for camping and fishing is only allowed with an approved permit. To apply for camping and fishing permit please visit

For information about permits contact: