Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Now is a good time to apply for your ‘water affecting activity’ permit

News release
20 November 2014

Are you looking to build, enlarge or deepen a dam, excavate a spring or soak, construct a groundwater access trench or a water crossing?

These are just some examples of a range of water affecting activities which require a permit.

A permit is necessary to ensure the proposed activities do not have adverse impacts on the health and condition of water resources, a catchment’s hydrology, on other water users and the ecosystems that depend on water resources.

Natural Resources Eyre Peninsula Water Resources Assessment Officer David Cunningham, said many landholders will undertake water affecting activities over the summer months, after harvest and prior to next year’s seeding.

"It is important that landholders apply for their permit at least two months before they intend to undertake the activity," he said.

"Permits are usually valid for one year from the date of issue."

Some other examples of water affecting activities that require permits include removing vegetation and soil from a watercourse, lake or wetland, and drilling a well.

Undertaking a water affecting activity without a permit or breach of the permit conditions is an offence under the NRM Act.

Eyre Peninsula Natural Resources Management Board Presiding Member Heather Baldock said in the last three years while the NRM plan has been in operation, 83 permits have been assessed and granted.

"This is about ensuring that the best methods and techniques are used to protect of the environment and other users," Ms Baldock said.

"The Board would like to recognise the people and organisations who have sought permits and continue to work with the Board to better manage the region’s water resources."

If you are unsure whether your proposed works require a permit, call David Cunningham at the Natural Resources Centre on 8688 3111 for advice and assistance.

Permit applications can be made at 86 Tasman Terrace, Port Lincoln, or by phoning 8688 3111 or email.

Find out more about water affecting activities and permits.

More information

Di Delaine

08 8688 3121