Prescribed burn at Seal Bay Conservation Park
30 April 2018
A prescribed burn is planned at Seal Bay Conservation Park on Kangaroo Island for Tuesday, 1 May and Wednesday, 2 May 2018, weather conditions permitting.
• The prescribed burn will start at 11am on Tuesday and should be complete by 5pm on Wednesday.
• It will affect about 54 hectares in the northern section of the reserve, near Hammatt Track.
• A significant smoke column will be produced during this burn. This is normal for burns of this size and smoke may continue to be visible in the area for several days afterwards.
• Seal Bay Road will be restricted during the burn, but not closed.
• Visitors to Seal Bay and Raptor Domain may be able to see smoke in the area.
The burn will be carried out by the Department for Environment and Water (DEW). Crews will remain on site until it is safe to leave.
The objective of this burn is to reduce fuels in the area to prevent the spread of bushfire. It is part of a statewide program of prescribed burning planned to protect communities and assets at risk.
Prescribed burns will only be carried out when it is deemed safe to do so and may be cancelled at short notice.
For the most up-to-date information on prescribed burns follow @SAENVIRWATER on Twitter.
A list of planned prescribed burns is available on the DEW website.
Communications & Media Coordinator