Sorry, your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

Microsoft no longer supports Internet Explorer. Please download their replacement Edge or another modern browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox. This site will not be fully functional using Internet Explorer.

Check before working on dams or waterways

News release
06 December 2022

After all the recent rain, it’s great to see waterways flowing regularly and many dams nearing capacity.

You may have noticed changes in different systems, maybe a flourish of green vegetation, the sounds of frogs or even the movement of fish. Regionally our waterways require these flows to maintain connectivity and ensure waterholes persist or lakes are filled. Human activities can affect flows and water quality. To ensure these requirements are maintained or water resources are protected, the SA Arid Lands Landscape Board has a Water Affecting Activity Control Policy.

If your waterways are still flowing and you’re thinking about constructing a dam, building a crossing, or removing material from a watercourse, lake or floodplain, you may need a Water Affecting Activity permit before starting work.

The board’s water staff can provide advice and the website has more information on water affecting activities and the process for applying for a water affecting activity permit. Contact staff on 8429 9666.